Friday 18 May 2012

Plurals are important, CSS, bookshops and sniffing books

The usual warning applies: I am writing mainly for myself on topics that interest me. I'm not bothered if you're not interested in them.

When I stopped coding last session, I was sitting with an interesting problem to solve: the code to include the header and footer wasn't working.

After spending too much time going line by line through the code, I eventually noticed something painfully obvious: I had misspelt a folder name and missed the trailing 's' from templates.

Sigh.

When I get some spare time, I'm going to have a long hard look to see if there is a good visual editor for css files. A quick look didn't find one, and I'm more interested in getting to doing some coding.

I do find css more than a little frustrating at times, and I should probably go back to first principles and relearn using the latest standards - this would be a good excuse for a trip to a good bookshop, but both my favorites have closed (that's Borders and the Waterstones branch in the MetroCentre).

When I buy a book I like to hold it and I really love the smell of a new book. It's even more important for technical books to have a look at the actual contents before deciding to buy. Once I've decided I want the book, I'll get it then and there - I don't like the delay between ordering and getting a book delivered (even if it works out cheaper).

Most of my inspiration for the html and css was taken from the "CSS: The Missing Manual" book.

No comments:

Post a Comment