Monday 17 October 2011

Backups and upgrades

I am taking the (big) risk of doing an update on my main laptop in upgrading it to Ubuntu 11.10.

Out of paranoia (and because I had a problem with the filesystem recently), I decided to do  a full backup of my home directory first.

Two days later the backup was complete. Not surprisingly, I had done some work on the machine and needed to do a backup again, but this time I just backed up the files that have changed.

Today is the big day: starting the upgrade process. I found it amusing that it might take some time to download the updates. Only might?

Currently using my MacBook, and (as always) it is taking me a while to get used to the different key layout.

It takes a little while to reprogram my muscle memory into finding the ~, | and # keys again. I am never sure if Apple actually looked at a UK keyboard before setting up their keyboards, but it is most certainly not following the standard.

For those slightly less trusting than me, how do you know if a backup is successful? The only way I know is to do a restore. Comparing the backup to the original only says the files have the same contents, after all. It does not mean that the backup will be able to be restored to your machine.

My usual method for upgrades is to buy a new hard disk for the laptop, do a clean install then copy my files over onto the new install. This time I have bitten the bullet and went for a direct upgrade.

No comments:

Post a Comment